Grand Lodge of Antient Free & Accepted Masons of Scotland
District Grand Lodge of Newfoundland and Labrador



Lodge Harbour Grace meets at the Masonic Temple on Victoria St.

Temple

Historical Note

On April 2, 1868 Lodge Harbour Grace established a committee to contact the Conception Bay British Society regarding co-operation in the erection of a hall. On June 15th the sum of 77-10 sterling was voted to pay half the cost of the site of the new hall and 5% was authorized to be paid on any money raised on the loan for that purpose. The principle to be repaid in 5 years from date of borrowing.

The building was constructed on Victoria Street, Harbour Grace jointly by Lodge Harbour Grace and the British Society. The corner stone was laid July 2, 1868 and the lower part known as the British Society was formerly opened December 16, 1868. The upstairs part of the hall known as Lodge Harbour Grace was dedicated January 7, 1869 by Bro. T.H Ridley, R.W.G.M, assisted by other members of the District Grand Lodge.

In 1945, the British Society decided to disband and Lodge Harbour Grace was able to buy that organization's title to the property. Bro. Roy Janes P.M. of Lodge Harbour Grace was the last president of the British Society and was involved in the transaction.




Return to Main Index

Updated 29 January 2012